With more than 43% of websites currently hosted on WordPress and 500 million users worldwide, it’s safe to say that WordPress has become the most popular content management system (CMS) in the world.
With so many new websites added to the WordPress community every day, web designers are continually looking for new trends and insights into design trends to help them better cater to this large and ever-growing market.
Learn more about how WordPress design will evolve over the next five years by reading this article about what’s ahead for WordPress design trends in 2022.
What Are We Seeing Now?
The last few years have seen enormous growth in WordPress design. With more than 70% of all websites using some version, millions of designers have jumped on board to create new themes and templates.
In fact, it’s one of the easiest platforms to design for because of its simple-to-use interface and a massive library of plugins. But;
- What will happen over the next five years?
- What will be popular?
- And how can you prepare now?
This post explores the top design trends in WordPress and what they might mean for the future. But before that, we wanted to show you a brief history of WordPress design to give you some context.
A Brief History of WordPress Design
WordPress has been around for more than 15 years, and in that time, it’s undergone quite a few changes. When it first launched in 2003, it was a simple blogging platform with a handful of default themes.
But as it grew in popularity, so did the number of themes and plugins available for it. By 2021, there were already 31,000+ themes available, and the platform had become much more versatile, allowing users to create any type of website they wanted.
But as the platform has grown, so has the competition. With so many designers creating WordPress themes, it’s become harder to stand out from the crowd.
What we’re seeing now is a trend towards more unique and individualized designs that are explicitly tailored to the client’s needs. Moreover, it has led to a rise in the popularity of custom WordPress development, where designers create bespoke themes for their clients instead of using pre-existing ones.
What’s Ahead for WordPress Design?
Now that we’ve taken a look at the history of WordPress design let’s take a look at what’s ahead. These are the top 7 WordPress design trends we think will be big in 2022:
1. Minimalistic Designs: Less Is More
As the saying goes, “less is more”. Besides, that’s certainly true when it comes to web design. Recently, we’ve seen a move away from complex and cluttered designs in favor of simpler, more minimalist ones. This trend will only continue in the years as designers focus on creating websites that are easy to navigate and user-friendly.
Moreover, a web development company will want to focus on the content and make it easily digestible for the user, rather than overwhelming them with too much information.
2. Mobile-First Designs: Cater To The Needs Of Mobile Users
With more than 54.4% of website traffic now coming from mobile devices, it’s clear that website design must cater to the needs of mobile users. Thus, designing for smaller screens, faster loading times, and touch-friendly interfaces. We already see a move towards mobile-first design, and this trend will only become more pronounced in the years to come.
3. Voice Search: Optimizing For Voice-Based Devices
As the popularity of voice-based devices like Amazon Echo and Google Home continues to grow, so does the need for website owners to optimize their sites for voice search. This involves using natural language keywords and phrases and structured data to make your site more easily found by these devices.
Besides, optimizing your site for voice search can also benefit your SEO, as traditional search engines now use similar algorithms to those used by voice assistants.
4. Augmented Reality And Virtual Reality: Enhancing The User Experience
The wordPress design is also starting to move into the world of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). We’re already seeing some themes and plugins that allow you to view your website in VR, and we expect this trend to grow in popularity as VR headsets become more common. AR, on the other hand, is starting to be used for things like product demonstrations and tutorials.
Not just that, but AR can also be used to create more immersive and engaging experiences for your website visitors. It’s safe to say that we’ll see more AR and VR elements in WordPress design in the years to come.
5. Animations And Micro-Interactions: Adding Life To Your Website
Another trend that’s starting to gain momentum is the use of animations and micro-interactions. These small, subtle animations help guide users through your website and improve the overall user experience. Used sparingly, they can add a touch of personality to your site and make it more memorable for visitors.
Businesses who are availing of web development services should consider these trends to make their web property future-proof.
6. Progressive Web Apps: Making Your Website More Like An App
Since the early days of the web, there’s been a clear divide between websites and apps. But with the rise of progressive web apps (PWAs), that divide is starting to blur. PWAs are websites designed to function like apps, offering features like offline access and push notifications.
This trend is particularly well-suited to WordPress, as the platform makes it easy to create PWAs using plugins and themes. In the years to come, we expect more and more businesses to start offering PWAs in addition to traditional websites and apps.
7. Parallax Effect: Adding Depth To Your Designs
The parallax effect is a scrolling technique that can add depth and dimension to your website. It involves layering different elements on top of each other, animating them as you scroll down the page for an engaging experience with content!
According to recent surveys, the parallax effect is one of the most popular trends in web design. However, it’s also one of the most controversial, as some designers feel that it can be overused and lead to cluttered designs.
These are a few of the top WordPress design trends that we see in 2022. As you can see, the trends are moving away from traditional designs and towards more modern, interactive, and immersive experiences. If you want your WordPress site to stay ahead of the curve, then you must keep these trends in mind.
Now Let’s Discuss WordPress Users’ Statistics.
1. In a survey of the demographics of WordPress design professionals, it was found that:
- 72.5% are male, and 24.5% are female
- The largest age group is 35-44 (29.3%), followed by 25-34 (26.4%)
2. When asked about essential factors in choosing a WordPress, respondents said:
- Functionality: WordPress is a full-fledged content management system (CMS) that supports many website features and functions. As such, choosing a theme that offers the right mix of features for your needs is essential.
- Flexibility: It’s also essential to choose a flexible theme that can be easily customized to fit your specific requirements. This way, you won’t have to spend a lot of time and effort trying to make your theme look the way you want it to.
- Design: When it comes to design, there’s a lot of personal preference involved. Some people prefer simple designs, while others prefer more complex and detailed ones. WordPress has themes available to suit all tastes, so choosing one you’re happy with is essential.
- Ease of use: WordPress is a fairly user-friendly platform, but some themes are easier to use than others. If you’re not particularly tech-savvy, then it’s important to choose a theme that’s easy to set up and use.
- Support: When something goes wrong with your website, you must have someone you can turn to for help. That’s why it’s crucial to choose a WordPress theme with good customer support.
WordPress is a robust platform that’s used by millions of people around the world. It’s constantly evolving, and new trends are always emerging. As a WordPress user, it’s essential to stay up-to-date with the latest trends to keep your website looking fresh and modern.
In this article, we’ve discussed some of the top WordPress design trends for 2022. Keep these trends in mind as you plan your WordPress website’s design, and you’ll be sure to create a site that looks great and functions well.
Moreover, you should always seek a WordPress development company that can keep up with the ever-changing trends and offer support and maintenance for your website. Thus, this will ensure that your site always looks its best and performs optimally.